The ISBA offers two great ways for the public to find an ISBA member lawyer:? Illinois Lawyer Finder (our online directory) and our phone-based Lawyer Referral Service.?
Illinois Lawyer Finder is the ISBA's online, public-facing member directory. Unique profiles for all ISBA members (except judges and government attorneys; see below)?are included at no cost, and members' names and business information is viewable by the public unless they choose to keep it private (see below).?
The public can go to?Illinois Lawyer Finder?and search the directory to find an ISBA?member to serve their legal needs. The?directory is part of a national, online public lawyer directory, which also?includes members of the State Bar of Michigan, the Ohio State Bar Association, and the Indiana State Bar Association.?
How to Update?Your Profile
How to edit your directory profile
- Log into your account.
- Verify the accuracy of the information on your account page?and select your "Online Public Directory Settings."
- You have the option to choose: (1) Directory Profile Viewable by Public; (2) Directory Profile Only Viewable by Other Lawyers; and (3) No Directory Profile.
- Click on the?"View & Edit Your Directory Profile" button to be taken to your "Edit Profile" page on the new directory.
- When you first access your directory profile, a "profile wizard" will launch and guide you through some basic settings.?
- On the directory's Edit Profile page, you should:
- Upload a profile photo by clicking on the camera icon on the top left.
- Add your biography (and other information) in the general section.
- Select and rank your practice areas.
- Explore the additional ways to enhance your profile.
- View your profile by clicking on "Actions" in the navigation at the top of your screen and then selecting "View Profile."?
Judges and Government Attorneys
For members who are judges or government attorneys, we have defaulted your profile's visibility setting to "No Directory Profile." If you would like your profile to appear in the new directory, simply follow the steps outlined above and change your "Online Public Directory Settings" to either "Directory Profile Viewable by the Public" or "Directory Profile Only Viewable by Other Lawyers."
How to Remove a Profile from the Directory
Log into your ISBA account, click on the "Edit" button in the section titled "Online Public Directory Settings," open the drop-down menu for "Public Profile View," select "No Directory Profile," and hit "Save." Your profile will then be removed from the directory within 20-30 minutes.
Lawyer Referral Service
ISBA members in good standing in the Illinois bar who carry professional liability insurance and authorize the ISBA to confirm their registration status can become Lawyer Referral Service members. We offer a basic and a premium option.
Premium members have their names and contact information given out to consumers who call the ISBA's live operators seeking paid legal assistance in specific areas of the law. The ISBA advertises this service to the public throughout Illinois. Each month, lawyer referral service operators provide hundreds of referrals. See updates about how many phone referrals are made by the Lawyer Referral Service.
In addition, to receiving phone referrals, Premium member also receive the following benefits related to the?Illinois Lawyer Finder Online Directory:
- Profiles in the Illinois Lawyer Finder Online Directory will carry a special designation on their Illinois Lawyer Finder public directory page alerting potential clients that they carry liability insurance and have agreed to provide the special initial consultation fee of $25 for 30 minutes.
- Consumers will be able to filter their directory search results by Lawyer Referral Service members.
- Be able to access personalized assistance from the ISBA when they have questions about the Illinois Lawyer Finder public directory.
Premium Lawyer Referral Service membership is $50
Basic members will carry a special designation on their Illinois Lawyer Finder public directory page alerting potential clients that they carry liability insurance and are in good standing with the ARDC.
Consumers will be able to filter their directory search results by Lawyer Referral Service members.
Finally, Basic members will be able to access personalized assistance from the ISBA when they have questions about the Illinois Lawyer Finder public directory.
Basic Lawyer Referral Service membership is free.